Friday, May 16, 2014

Windows



I fell in love with her eyes. One was hazel and the other, a fatal shade of russet. A genetic mutation, she used to say. They were the part of her that you’d notice at first glance, and the kind that you would double back to receive second helpings from. She spoke with her eyes, and I loved listening to her. So did a lot of others. They would bump into her, seemingly unplanned, and strike up conversations or make her laugh, just so that they could hear them speak. But I, I saw the entire universe unfold in front of me when she spoke. Not just words, but songs which ensnared me in their tunes of sorrow and joy. They shown like morning sunlight falling on dew drops when she laughed and dulled in tears when she cried. They reflected what I had been searching for so long and I drowned in them the very first time I saw them. Since then, they took me on a whirlwind of despair. I had to be hers. Theirs. I enticed her. I fought for her. I used up all my weapons. I broke all the rules, gave it all up, and risked everything. Till one morning she lay on me, feeling me breathe under her, and she knew. She knew what she meant to me and she embraced it. She saw through all the chinks in my armor and all the flaws in my soul. And she knew. We both knew. 

Each time we consumed each other, I kept falling deeper and deeper inside them. They showed me the world in two different shades. And each time I glimpsed a little of it, I lost sight of what is real, and what is not. I thought I saw the truth, but I didn’t. They began to devour me like a snake devours it’s pray. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw hers. Tormenting me. Until I could no longer watch them leave with her. I longed to keep them with me forever. And now, as I held them in my hand, they reminded me why I thought they were beautiful. They never lied.



1 comment:

  1. Author's note - For those of you who thought it was a soppy illau story, it isn't. He kills her and stares at her eye balls and thinks that they are beautiful and honest..... Talking eye balls.. Really, Nadeesha. *laughs* inspired by the story of a bikkuni samanera who ripped her beautiful eyes off because a prince kept asking to marry her because she had the prettiest eyes. She said " You pester me when I am trying to concentrate on achieving nibbana. ah inda take them" and clawed them out in front of him and handed them over. Atta girl. Ha!

    ReplyDelete